We’ve all felt our teeth ache after chomping down that fudgesicle. We’ve all had a time where our teeth felt like someone was pounding on it with an icepick. Now the question we’re going to answer today is how to handle sensitivity in the teeth and gums and some of the best remedies that you can do at home to mitigate sensitive teeth.
So what causes it?
Sensitivity in the teeth and gums can happen to anyone and no specific person is at-risk. While that may sound alarming, the most common symptom for sensitivity in the teeth is best described as a sudden sharp flash of pain when teeth get exposed to factors such as air, cold, sweet acidic or hot foods. Some people may experience sensitive teeth through flossing or brushing their teeth. According to leading experts, here are some of the factors that may contribute to sensitive teeth:
- Brushing too hard/using a hard bristled toothbrush
- Gum Recession: Often happens from those suffering from peridontal disease
- Gingivitis: Inflamed and sore gum tissue can expose the tooth’s root
- Cracked Teeth: These can become filled with bacteria that comes from plaque leading to higher inflammation
- Long term use of mouthwash: The acids from leading mouthwashes, when used for extended periods of time, can make existing tooth sensitivity worse and damage the dentin layer
- Acidic Foods: Like the above, these can break down enamel
- Dental Procedures: Root Planing, Crown Replacement or other tooth restoration procedures
So what can I do to treat sensitivity?
- Desensitizing Toothpastes: There are several brands that are on the market for sensitive teeth like Sensodyne. Some of these toothpastes come with added benefits of whitening or all day relief from teeth or gum sensitivity
- Soft Bristled Toothbrushes: Use of a soft bristled toothbrush (such as one made with nylon or silicone) can help hard brushing of the teeth or gums
- Avoid Acidic Foods: Foods such as Orange Juice, Citrus Based Dishes, Grains and Processed Foods contain higher amounts of acid
- Avoid Teeth Grinding: Use of a mouth guard to help prevent teeth grinding